Glasgow - City of Sculpture
By Gary Nisbet
William Silver Frith
(1850-1924)
A graduate of Lambeth School of Art and the RA Schools, he later became Modelling Master at SLTAS, 1880-95.

Principally an architectural sculptor in stone and terracotta, the latter including Victoria Law Courts, Birmingham (1885), he was the supervising sculptor on the Doulton Fountain, Glasgow (1887-8) and personally produced the fountain's Canada group.

He also executed the statues of Grinling Gibbons and John Bacon for the Victoria and Albert Museum (1899-1909) and King Edward VII, Whitechapel.

A member of the Art Workers Guild, he also produced decorative plaster and metal work.

Sources:

Useful links to other sites:

 
Works in our Database:
1: Glasgow Green (Calton),
Doulton Fountain
(1888, International Exhibition in Kelvingrove Park; relocated 1890, Glasgow Green)
Designer: AE Pearce; Modellers: J Broad, H Ellis, AE Pearce, FW Pomeroy;
Modelling supervisor: WS Frith; Manufacturer: Doulton & Co
2: Glasgow Green (Calton),
Doulton Fountain
Canada (1888)
Modeller: WS Frith; Manufacturer: Doulton & Co
 
Open Full Sculpture Database

Click here to return to the top.