The late design of St George's in the Fields Parish Church,
1885, marked the final apotheosis of the pure Classical style in
Glasgow before the city's predeliction for the style finally petered
out with Alexander Skirving's Langside Parish Church of 1896.
Something of a rarity amongst the city's classical buildings at
St George's is its colossal tympanum crowded with figurative sculpture.
It is also Glasgow's finest tympanum group.
Biblical in its proportions and subject, the tableau of twelve
energetically posed figures takes as its theme the Christ Feeding
The Multitude parable from the Christian scriptures, and was
carved whilst Rhind was sharing a studio in Glasgow with his sculptor
brother, John Massey Rhind, who possibly assisted him with its
execution. A tour de force, Birnie Rhind's skills as a narrative
sculptor and his mastery of the problems posed in filling pediments
with multi-figure, allegorical groups culminates in a powerfully
composed and executed depiction of Christ's 'miracle' of the
Loaves and Fishes.