A Monumental Sculptor, he produced a considerable number of monuments for the Necropolis and
Glasgow's other cemeteries, and was the father of the prolific architects
H & D Barclay
Formerly in partnership with
Bowman & Barclay
he set up his own workshop at 45 Taylor Street, 1848.
A fine example of his work in the Necropolis is the James Tennent Monument, an obelisk on a pedestal carved with the Egyptian
hieroglyphs for the Ankh symbol and the Eye of Horus.
His work outside Glasgow includes the Macfarlan Monument in Kilmahog Graveyard, Stirlingshire (1851).
Barclay's firm lasted well into the 20th Century.