One of Glasgow's most successful builders in the mid-19th Century, he set up his business c.1834 in Cowcaddens, and later moved to 30 Renfrew Street.
His important buildings featuring sculpture include:
The Custom House, 298-306 Clyde Street (1838-9), who’s Royal Arms provoked a demonstration and much derision when they were hoisted onto the building in June, 1838; the Bank of Scotland, 174-6 Ingram Street, who’s shield and its colossal female supporters (by
A H Ritchie
) were escorted by York from Edinburgh (1849, statues lost); and the Queen’s Rooms, 1 La Belle Place which feature’s York’s name on its south gable, together with those of the building’s architect,
, and its sculptor,
He was also the contractor for the building of the Victoria Bridge (1851-4).
York died on 17 August 1865, and was buried in the Necropolis.
- GC (New Custom House), 22 June, 1838, p. 2
(Bank of Scotland), 20 October, 1849, p. 2
Williamson et al.