Born in London, the second son of Sir George Gilbert Scott,
and uncle of Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960), he trained with
his brother, George jnr, in his father's office from 1860.
He assumed complete control of the business after his brother's
suicide in 1897, and followed closely in his fathers 'Gothic'
footsteps, becoming noted for his many churches throughout England.
His work includes St John's RC
Cathedral, Norwich (1884) and
All Saints, Newborough, Staffordshire (1901).
In Glasgow, he worked for Glasgow University, completing his
fathers plans for the Randolph and Bute Halls (1882).
He was also responsible for adding the fretwork spire to the
University's Ventilator Tower (1887-91), after his father's original plans
for a wooden spire and clock were abandoned as a fire risk.
J O Scott's design for completing the tower also included a clock, its
four, circular faces placed above the spandrels of the paired, upper window's.
This scheme was also abandoned.
In 1893, he completed another of his father's Glasgow projects, adding the
spire and sculpture to St Mary's Episcopal Church (now Cathedral) Great Western Road.
As well as this, he designed the University's memorials to Lord Sandford
and Professor Leitch (1896), and collaborated with
J J Burnet
on the University's
Engineering Building (1902-3).