A sculptor and painter, he was born in Glasgow and studied at GSA in
the 1890s under
He won national competitions, 1893-8, including a bronze medal
for a Fighting Gladiator, 1895, which received high praise
W H Thornycroft
, Thomas Brock,
and H H Armstead.
He executed portrait busts, decorative panels and statuettes,
but was more productive as a painter of landscapes and the River Clyde.
His only recorded public work in Glasgow is the Dr. James Wilson
Memorial Drinking Fountain at the junction of Edmiston Drive and
Hinshelwood Drive (1906), which has since become a regular target for 'Coning'
by individuals who believe Glasgow's statues look much better with traffic cones on their heads.
J P Main exhibited at PAI, 1894-1901, and at RGIFA
, 1896-1934, including
Architectural Panel (1897), The Song (1902) and The
Young Highland Chieftain (1907).
He lived at Pollokshields and Clarkston, and died on 16th March, 1934. He is buried in Eastwood