Born Glasgow, he trained at the Haldane Academy (later GSA
where he won a prize for figure modelling, 1850, and taught
He also worked in London with
J H Foley
George Anderson Lawson
, 1870-75, before returning to Glasgow to assist
G E Ewing
on the statue of Robert Burns in George Square.
as his assistant until 1890, he
worked on the Campbell, Livingstone and MacLeod
statues, as well as the City Chambers reliefs and sculpture on
Greenock Municipal Buildings (1879-86).
His other work in Glasgow includes the statue of James White of Overtoun,
Cathedral Square (1890), after a design by
An active member of the Glasgow Art Club, he executed portrait
busts and exhibited at RGIFA
, 1863-92, and at the International
Exhibition, Kelvingrove, 1888.
He occupied addresses at 87 Abercromby Street, 1861, 7 Park Place,
1871, and 79 Grove Street, 1881, before moving to Edinburgh, c. 1890.