Born in Liverpool, he was apprenticed as a welder at Birkenhead
Shipyards, worked at Dunlop's Speke factory and as a cleaner at
St. Martin's School of Art, London, before turning to sculpture.
In 1953 he attended sculpture classes at St Martin's School and
held his first show in 1962, at St. Martin's Gallery, London.
A sculptor of religious subjects, he usually worked in bronze
or scrap metal, and produced work for churches in England, Spain
and Latin America.
Also a member of the Communist Party, he was commissioned to
design and execute La Pasionaria, for Custom House Quay,
Glasgow (1971-9), as a memorial to the Glasgow volunteers who fought
in the International Brigade during the Spanish Civil War of 1936-9.