Founded by Walter Gilbert, in 1898, and lasting till the 1960s, the
Guild emerged from the Arts and Crafts Movement
and produced decorative
work in wood, metal, glass, embroidery, plaster, etc., for public and
private clients throughout Britain.
They worked on a number of projects in Glasgow, including:
The plasterwork at Averley,
996 Great Western Road, and the Central Station Hotel (1900-08); the stained glass designed by H J Payne and
Mary Newell at Stoneleigh, 48 Cleveden Drive (1900-06); the nameplates
on the former Edinburgh Life Assurance Company building, 124 St Vincent Street
(1904-6); the gates and sculpture at the Phoenix Assurance Building, 78 St Vincent
Street (1912-3) and the metal-work in the former Union Bank, 110-20 St Vincent Street
They also produced the memorial to Lord Kelvin in St Columba's Church, Largs (1908).
In England, they produced the memorial to W E Henley at Hatley-Cockayne, from a model
designed by the architect J W Simpson (1903); the brass memorial to G A W Huddart in Brynkirin, Wales,
from a model by H H Martyn (1909); the famous Liver Birds on the Royal Liver
Friendly Society Building, Liverpool (1911); the bronze enrichments on the Cunard
War Memorial, Liverpool (1921); the woodwork, metalwork and
stained glass for Holy Trinity Church, Southport; and the chancel
in Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral (1903-24).
The guild's most prestigious commission was for the gates of Buckingham Palace (1912-13).