Glasow based sculptor, modeller and plasterer, he occupied
premises at 129 West George Street.
In 1855, he modelled the figurative roundels in the interior
of the former Union Bank, 191 Ingram Street (now Corinthian).
He was responsible for the ornate plasterwork and the models
for the exterior guilloche mouldings at the Royal Faculty of Procutators,
62-8 Nelson Mandela Place, which were carved by James Shanks (1854-6).
One of his former assistants was
J P Macgillivray
, who worked on the plasterwork and exterior carving on the Scotia Theatre, Stockwell Street (dem.).
Steel's firm was eventually acquired by his former assistant Robert McGilvray, of
McGilvray & Ferris
[Obit, McGilvray], 24 October, 1914;
Williamson et al.
- George Fairfull Smith, Lanarkshire House, Glasgow, in Architectural History (1999), no. 42, p. 298.