A sculptor working in metal and wood, he was born in Moniaivie, Dumfriesshire, and
studied at ECA
until 1958, and at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris, from 1959-60.
His early work was predominently in metal, such as Rig and Platform,
which pays tribute to the engineering achievements of the North Sea oil
His wood sculptures are preoccupied with the forms of 'primitive' sculpture,
the nature of human rituals, and relationships between society and the environment.
His only public work in Glasgow is the competition winning, The Symbols of St Kentigern,
on the north side of Kentigern House, Brown Street (1985-6). Cast in lead, the sculpture
is based on the Glasgow Coat of Arms and the legends of St Kentigern, the founder and
patron saint of the city.
The sculpture is 3.6m high by 1.5m wide, and was commissioned by the Property Services
Agency. The architects of the building it adorns were Keppie Henderson & Partners.
Scott has exhibited work in Britain, Scandinavia and Japan, and is represented
in public collections in Scotland. He was elected RSA
in 1984, and was Head of the
School of Sculpture at ECA