Edinburgh based architectural practice formed between John Dick Peddie
(1824-91) and Charles George Hood Kinnear (1830-94), later becoming Kinnear
& Peddie, 1878, and joined by Peddie's Son, John More Dick Peddie (1853-1921),
who continued the firm into the 20th Century before partnering
Sir George Washington Browne
Hugely prolific, they received commissions for buildings of every type
throughout Scotland and designed in all the fashionable styles.
For Glasgow, they designed some of the city's most elegant Classical
churches: Elgin Place Congregational Church (1855-6, dem.); Sydney Place
Church (1856, dem.); and Trinity Duke Street UP
Church, now Kirkhaven
(1858), and some interesting commercial buildings.
The latter includes the City of Glasgow Assurance Building, 28a Renfield
Street (1871-2), which incorporated a statue of St Mungo by
G E Ewing
a statue of St Andrew by
and classical carver-work by
C B Grassby
the unadorned business chambers at 20-40 West Nile Street (1872); and the
Blythswoodholme Hotel, 91-115 Hope Street (1876-7), which was later converted
to offices and shops by J D Peddie, 1890, losing a pair of reclining figures
) in the process from above its main entrance.
J M Dick Peddie's contribution to the city after both partners' deaths
includes the National Bank (now Post Office), 47 St Vincent Street (1898-1900),
with a colossal Scottish Arms by
A H Hodge
, and the Scottish Provident Building,
17-29 St Vincent Place (1906).
Outwith Glasgow, their important commissions include, the Ebenezer Erskine
Monument, Stirling (1858-9), with sculpture by
A H Ritchie
; Greenock Sheriff
Court and County Buildings (1864-7); Aberdeen Municipal and County Buildings
(1866-74); and Kirkudbright Town Hall (1878). As well as banks, churches,
Baronial houses and Classical and Renaissance commercial buildings.
Kinnear lived at 114-116 Trinity Road, Edinburgh, which he designed in 1858.