Glasgow - City of Sculpture
By Gary Nisbet
Charles Jean Menart
(c. 1876-c. 1935)

Belgian by nationality, he settled in Perth where he practised as an architect from 28 South Methven Street, and later formed the partnership Menart & Jarvie, with offices in Glasgow at 221 and 241 West George Street, 1911-26.

They specialised in ecclesiastical buildings for the Roman Catholic Church throughout Scotland, often incorporating sculpture on their facades and ornate marble work in their interiors.

He also produced secular buildings such as banks, tenements and shops; a good example of the latter three being the combined development at 10-12 High Street, Perth.

Their ecclesiastical work includes St Leonard’s Manse, Perth (1905); the interiors of Blair College New Chapel, Aberdeen (1910-11); the Sacred Heart Church, Torry (1911); St Joseph’s, Helensburgh, which includes a statue of the saint in a niche on its façade (1911); and St Joseph’s College Chapel, Dumfries (1923).

Menart’s most important works, however, are in Glasgow.

His Sacred Heart Church, 52 Dalmarnock Road (1900-10), is one of his largest buildings and includes statues of Christ and Saints Andrew and Patrick on its front by an unidentified sculptor, and a figure of Christ over the altar by Jack Mortimer for Gillespie, Kidd & Coia’s alterations in the 1950s.

His masterpiece, though, is St Aloysius Church, Rose Street (1908-10), whose slender, domed campanile rises above the church’s heavily carved Baroque façade and Byzantine dome, creating a prominent landmark on the heights of Garnethill.

The interior of St Aloysius is rich in marble sculpture by William Vickers , including its altar.

Menart’s last work of note in Glasgow was St Joseph’s Home Chapel, Roystonhill (1910-14).

He exhibited paintings of his church interiors at the RSA, 1908, and RGIFA, 1911-26, including: Interior of St Peters Church, Buckie (1908, RSA); Interior of St Aloysius Church (1911, RGIFA cat. 894); Chapel of the Holy Souls (1915, RGIFA cat. 625); and The Marist Brothers War Memorial Church, Dumfries (1926, RGIFA cat. 187).

Sources:

  • Williamson et al. ;
  • Glendinning et al;
  • Walker (2000), p. 270;
  • Laperriere, vol 3;
  • Billcliffe, vol 3;

Click here to return to the top.

All images and biographies are our copyright and may not be reproduced
in any form whatsoever without our express permission.

Home Page |  Sculpture Database |  Sculptors & Designers |  Architects, Builders & Foundries |  Quick Tour
Acronyms |  Glossary |  Bibliography |  Useful Links |  About Us |  Privacy Policy |  Copyright |  Contact Us
Our visitor count: from 1st Jan 2002
For sculpture and architecture: we have over 300 biographies of sculptors and architects connected with Glasgow, Scotland.

 
© 2001-2017 glasgowsculpture.com