Glasgow based firm of encaustic tile layers, marble cutters and monumental sculptors founded by James Winton Mackie and Robert Miller in 1883, as J Winton & Miller (fl. 1883-5). Their showroom was at 123 West Regent Street. The firm later expanded to include a workshop at 228-30
West George Street and 94 and 113 West Regent Lane.
They manufactured marble chimneypieces, fenders, monuments, memorial tablets, baths chiffonier, counter and table tops, lavatory fittings and general house and shop work.
In 1889, they produced the memorial plaque to Rev. William S Shanks, which was placed near the pulpit in Maryhill Old Parish Church (lost).
The plaque was carved in ‘pure white sanitary marble’ and was designed in the Classical style; with carved acanthus leaves, egg and
dart mouldings, a pediment and an urn finial. After it was completed, the excess funds for the plaque were used to finance the commissioning
of a larger monument to Shanks in the churchyard, incorporating a bronze bust by
J P Macgillivray
The firm later became J W Mackie & Son, marble cutters and tile contractors.
- Govan Press: Memorial To The Rev. W.S. Shanks, 5 October 1889, p. 5;