Born in Edinburgh, the son of architect Sir Robert Lorimer, he
initially trained as an architect before becoming a sculptor after
attending sculpture classes at ECA
under Alexander Carrick, from 1929.
He later worked with Eric Gill in England, then became principally
an architectural sculptor and modeller in Edinburgh. He executed many
prestigious commissions in and around the capital, including the figures
on the National Library of Scotland (1950-5).
His work in Glasgow is rare, the modelling of the heraldic Lions on the
garden gateposts at Pollok House being his most important commission for the
city. The lions were carved by John Marshall (c. 1940).
A superb photograph of Marshall carving one of the lions in his
workshop is included in Robert Ferguson's Pollok House (2001).
Lorimer also produced ecclesiastical work and sculpture on religious themes,
such as the colossal, freestanding Our Lady of the Isles, South Uist.
He was elected an ARSA
in 1946, and RSA
, in 1957.
- Elizabeth M Johnstone, Carved With Pride, Scots Magazine, August 2005 (ills);
- Robert Ferguson (2001), Pollok House, NTS