Opening his practice in 1880, at 196 St. Vincent Street, he entered
the City chambers Competition of 1881, submitting a design for a mannerist
Hotel de Ville (motto: Dunmore) with a Roman temple front, huge
angle mansards and a Graeco-Roman tower which bears a striking, and more
refined and satisfying, resemblance to that of William Young's winning design.
Most of his executed buildings have been destroyed.