A nephew of
, with whom he initially trained,
he set up on his own in 1873, at 137 West Regent Street, and later
entered into partnership with H E Clifford.
Landless worked for
Glasgow Corporation's Tramway Department and Glasgow School Board,
designing several schools including, John Street School, 53 Tullis Street
(1882-3, dem. 1968), and Kent Road School, 205-10, Kent Road (1885-6,
dem. c. 1970).
He eventually left Glasgow in 1889 to work for Leeds School Board, for whom
he designed at least four new schools and additions to their older
He was an Honorary Treasurer of the Glasgow Institute of Architects,
and was President of the Philosophical Society of Glasgow.
The Blind Asylum, Castle Street (1879-81), is his only surviving
work of significance in Glasgow, although most of this was demolished
in the 1940s and 90s. Its Gothic clock tower features Grassby's
Christ Restoring Sight To A Blind Child, of 1881.
He lived at 16 Richmond Street.
, vol. 59, 1 August, 1890, pp. 146, 166;
[Kent Road School]: C8814, C5116.