One of a host of sculptors and carvers employed on the Houses of
Parliament, London (1835-60), he was chief assistant to the project's
supervising sculptor, John Thomas, and worked there beside Glasgow's
From 1860-63, he worked in Rome but returned to execute fountains for
London's St. James' and Regent Parks, and the monument to Lieutenant
Robert Burn Anderson, Glasgow Cathedral (1860-3).
He also produced numerous portrait busts, many of which he exhibited
at the RA
, 1851-78, including Henry Irving (1874).