An architectural sculptor, little is known about James Hendry's life and career.
His only known commission for carvings on a building was for the Evening Citizen newspaper offices at 24 St Vincent Place (1885-9).
Working from plans designed by architect Thomas Lennox Watson, the building's ornament was in the Italian Renaissance style and
comprised refined and delicately carved lettering, arabesques, lion masks and grotesque animals and birds.
Hendry was possibly an employee in the firm of
at the time of the Evening Citizen commission, rather than being an independent
carver. This is suggested by the absence of his name in the lists of sculptors and carvers in the city's PODs
for the period.
Alternately, his absence from the lists, together with the lack of recorded works in the city, suggests that he might not have been
based in Glasgow at all.
: Evening Citizen Offices, vol. 31, 31 May, 1889, p. 389.