A long established foundry based in Paisley. They advertised themselves as iron founders, shipbuilders, boilermakers and gas and water engineers.
They cast the ironwork for two bridges in Paisley. The finest, the Abbey Bridge incorporates polychrome reliefs of the town’s arms, which are complimented by gothic lamp standards made in Glasgow by Walter Macfarlane’s Saracen Foundry (1882). Their later Abercorn Bridge is much smaller but distinguished by lamps cast from the firm’s own patterns (1910).
For Glasgow they produced the iron spans and ornament for two important bridges: the Albert Bridge (1868-71) and Dumbarton Road
At the Albert Bridge they worked with the engineers R B & D Miller; the patternmakers Kay & Reid, who modelled the patterns for the bridge’s heraldic shields and lamp standards in wood prior to casting; the architect Anderson, of Edinburgh; and
G E Ewing
, the most successful sculptor of his day in Scotland, who sculpted the bronze medallion portraits of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert for the bridge’s abutments.
The Dumbarton Road Bridge also features heraldic shields and lamps recreated from Macfarlane's original patterns.
Also in Glasgow, they provided the iron work for the Transit Sheds at Windmillcroft Quay (1861. dem, c. 2001).