Glasgow - City of Sculpture
By Gary Nisbet
W & J Galloway
(fl. c. 1886-c. 1911)
Manchester based iron founders.

Advertising their ornamental and utilitarian castings at a number of important exhibitions, their The Fairy Fountain was a hugely popular feature at Glasgow's Kelvingrove International Exhibition, 1888.

Previously exhibited at South Kensington, 1886, and Manchester, 1887, the Kelvingrove fountain was spectacularly illuminated with coloured light.

Such was its popularity that the fountain was celebrated in the song The Fairy Fountain by J Rae, and was copied and exhibited again at the Kelvingrove exhibitions of 1901 and 1911.

The original fountain was purchased in 1889 and re-erected in Queens Park, Maryborough, Queensland, as the Andrew Melville Monument, 1890.

Sources:

Useful links to other sites:

Click here to return to the top.

All images and biographies are our copyright and may not be reproduced
in any form whatsoever without our express permission.

Home Page |  Sculpture Database |  Sculptors & Designers |  Architects, Builders & Foundries |  Quick Tour
Acronyms |  Glossary |  Bibliography |  Useful Links |  About Us |  Privacy Policy |  Copyright |  Contact Us
Our visitor count: from 1st Jan 2002
For sculpture and architecture: we have over 300 biographies of sculptors and architects connected with Glasgow, Scotland.

 
© 2001-2017 glasgowsculpture.com