An architectural carver, he occupied premises at 1 Kennington Road,
Lambeth, London, from 1864, later forming the partnership Earp & Hobbs (afterwards Earp, Hobbs & Miller).
He specialised in ecclesiastical work and was closely
involved with the leading Gothic architect George Edmund Street
in the 1860s and 70s, for whom he executed the foliate capitals
in St. James' Church, Milnrow, Lancashire (1868-9).
He also executed Gothic carver work on Thomas Worthington's City Police and Sessions Courts, Manchester (1867-73); a particularly fine
Annunciation group on the exterior wall of St Marie's Cathedral, Sheffield (1879); and the Font in Rochester Cathedral (1893).
In Scotland, he executed the Reredos in St. James' Episcopal
Church, Leith (1862-5); the Reredos in the Lady Chapel, St.
Margaret's Convent of the Ursulines of Jesus, Whitehouse Loan,
Grange, Edinburgh (1877); and in Glasgow, the carver work around
the doors and windows of John Honeyman's St. Silas English Church,
Park Road, which was left unfinished due to cost cutting (1864).
His best know work is the Eleanor Cross at Charing Cross, London (1863).