Little is know about Cation (pron: Caution) other than that he worked
on two major building
projects in Glasgow in the 18th century.
These were the Town Hall, later known as the Tontine Hotel, for which
he carved five grotesque keystone heads which, from 1781, were known as
the Tontine Heads (1737-40, removed c. 1860, relocated 1994-6), and
St Andrew's Parish Church, St Andrew's Square, for which he carved a
colossal Glasgow Arms in the typanum of the building's pediment and
its Corinthian capitals and urns (1739-56).