Glasgow - City of Sculpture
By Gary Nisbet
Alexander Caldwell
(fl. 1862-75)
A monumental sculptor, Alexander Caldwell worked briefly in the partnership Handcock & Caldwell at Caledon Place, Gorbals, in 1862.

A year later he set up on his own at 106 Caledonia Road in the Gorbals, and later named his firm A. Caldwell & Co. His final listing in the Post Office Directory was at 434 South Wellington Street, in 1875.

Caldwell signed the stones to Gavin Lennox (d.1848) and James Clark (n.d.) in the Necropolis.

An example of his work elsewhere is the monument to farmer James Strang in Paisley’s Woodside Cemetery (1868).

Sources:

Click here to return to the top.

All images and biographies are our copyright and may not be reproduced
in any form whatsoever without our express permission.

Home Page |  Sculpture Database |  Sculptors & Designers |  Architects, Builders & Foundries |  Quick Tour
Acronyms |  Glossary |  Bibliography |  Useful Links |  About Us |  Privacy Policy |  Copyright |  Contact Us
Our visitor count: from 1st Jan 2002
For sculpture and architecture: we have over 300 biographies of sculptors and architects connected with Glasgow, Scotland.

 
© 2001-2017 glasgowsculpture.com