Frank Burnet (1846-1923) was born in Melrose, Roxburghshire.
architecture at GSA
before joining the staff of the City Architect's
office, in 1871, under John Carrick, where he worked on projects
for the City Improvement Trust.
He set up on his own as an architect
and property valuator in 1879, at 65 West Regent Street, and in 1890
he was joined by William James Boston (1861-1937), as Burnet & Boston.
They later assumed their former apprentice, James Carruthers (b. 1872),
as a third partner in 1901, and trained the future tenement architect,
The firm produced 540 tenements from
1883-1906, and were responsible for St. George's Mansions, 10-28 Woodlands Road
and 63-89 St. George's Road (1900-2), and the tenements at 231-287 High Street
(1900), both for the City Improvement Trust, and the Dalnair Street
tenements in Yorkhill for the Overnewton Building Company (1906-9).
Their tenements in the High Street provided new premises for the monumental and architectural sculptors
J & G Mossman
, at 248 High Street, which are still occupied by the firm.
Burnet & Boston's other
work includes warehouses, banks, factories, schools, churches and
commercial buildings, with sculpture produced by
J M Sherriff
Their commercial building at 188-92 St. Vincent Street features a fine, seated statue
of Justice possibly carved by
In 1919, Burnet's son, Frank R. Burnet (retired 1965),
became a partner, followed by James Bell (c. 1911-67).
In the inter-war
years, they designed 123-133 Sauchiehall Street (1923-4) and James
Craig's Luncheon Rooms, 19 Gordon Street (1931-3), and during World
War II, opened an office in Greenock, at 2 Wallace Street, 1943-59.
After the war the firm bought
The firm was renamed Frank Burnet & Partners in 1961, and continues today
as Burnet Bell, at 180 Hope Street.