Bromhead trained as an architect in England, where he held a number of
important positions, and worked in York before moving to Glasgow.
He opened an office at 245 St Vincent Street, and in 1880, entered the City
Chambers competition with a design for a 'strict Classical' Corinthian
temple (motto: Salonica), which failed to win due to the absence of the
tower required by the competition rules.
Whilst serving as President
of the Glasgow Institute of Architects, he was joint assessor in the
District Libraries competitions with
A B McDonald
Amongst his own buildings are the tenement blocks at 401-35 Sauchiehall Street
(c. 1870) and 78-85 Hamilton Drive (1884), and the Highland Light Infantry
Volunteers Drill Hall, Hill Street (1897, now Haldane Building, GSA
Bromhead's most important building is the colossal, Stewart & MacDonald warehouse,
134-156 Argyle Street (1899-3, now Frasers), which features sculpture by
including the bearded and bowed granite Atlas figures at the store's Argyle Street entrance,
who themselves quickly aquired the nicknames 'Stewart' and 'MacDonald'.
A keen yachtsman, Bromhead was a member of the Royal Yachting Club and the London based Royal Canoe Club.