Glasgow - City of Sculpture
By Gary Nisbet
Stanley Bonnar
(b. 1948)
Raised in Leith, he studied sculpture at Dundee College of Art, 1968-72, and was Town Artist at Glenrothes New Town, 1973, and then at East Kilbride and Stonehaven New Town, 1974-77.

He worked as a scenic artist at the Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh, and then joined Blackness Public Arts Project, Dundee, 1981-4, before becoming a tutor in Environmental Art at Glasgow School of Art, 1985-92.

His public work includes The Witty Parade of Hippos, Glenrothes (1972), and The Community, Whitevale Street, Glasgow (1981).

For the University of Strathclyde, he executed the metal wall features for its halls of residence in Rottenrow, Glasgow (1993).

He exhibited Nigel at the RSA , 1970, and won a Scottish Arts Council Award, 1994.

He is currently involved in film work with his son, Mark Bonnar.

Sources:

 
Works in our Database:
#348 1: Whitevale Street (Dennistoun),
South Dennistoun Neighbourhood Centre,
13, Whitevale Street
The Community (1981)
Sculptor: S Bonnar
 
Open Full Sculpture Database

Click here to return to the top.