Born in Hornby, Lancashire and later based in Kirkudbright, she studied
at Edinburgh College of Art and in Paris and Italy.
Best known for her small animal
sculptures, she executed the animal masks on the cornice of the former Metro-Vickers
House, 74 Waterloo Street (1925-7, now Fortune House), as part of a larger but
abandoned sculpture scheme.
She was one of several sculptors working under Pilkington
Jackson at the Scottish National War Memorial, Edinburgh Castle (1924-7), for which
she executed the heraldic and animal sculptures.
She also worked with Pilkington Jackson on the animal carvings on the tower of the
Lady Sanderson Cottage Homes, Galashiels (1930-3).
In Edinburgh, she produced the
animal sculptures on the Zoology Building, Edinburgh University, and the Royal Arms
on St. Andrew's House (1936-9). She also produced sculpture for St. John's Church,
The first female ARSA
, 1939, she was elected a full RSA