The daughter of a designer, she was born in Turnbridge Wells and
studied sculpture at GSA
, winning a Diploma in 1908.
Her commissions include the Memorial Tablet to A H Charteris
in Kirk O' Field Church, Edinburgh, which features a portrait relief,
and the choirstall figures in the Congregational Church, Whitchurch (1910).
She also produced the models for at least two important commissions
for architectural sculpture in Glasgow, of which only one example survives.
These were for the figures representing Science, Industry
and Learning on
J J Burnet
's McGeoch's Warehouse, 28 West Campbell
Street, executed by
Holmes & Jackson
(1905-6, dem. 1971); and the
figures representing: Exchange, Security, Prudence
and Adventure, on the Royal Bank of Scotland, 30 St Enoch's Square
(1906-7), executed by
McGilvray & Ferris
From 1908-33, she exhibited work at the RSA
, including portraits in
bronze of Lady Archibald and Professor Smart, 1908;
Mischief, 1910; The Pillar of Salt, 1920; Demeter,
1925; and David Dancing Before the Ark, 1933.
Whilst studying in Glasgow, she lived at 20 Kew Gardens and 13
Highburgh Terrace, and then, after becoming Mrs Charles Clay, moved to 3
Wildwood Rise, London, and Thyme Cottage, Bletchingley, Surrey, before
settling at Grasmere, Westmoreland.