Edinburgh based, he formed a number of partnerships throughout his
long career, including one with
Sir George Washington Browne
1881-5, and became one of the most important architects in Scotland.
Much of his finest work is in Edinburgh where he produced extensions
to Edinburgh University, including its dome (1874-87); the Scottish
National Portrait Gallery (1884-9) and the McEwan Hall (1897).
In Glasgow, he designed Govan Old Parish Church (1882-8), which was
built without its steeple and extensive sculpture scheme; the Central
Station Hotel, Gordon Street (1882-4); additions to Pollok House (1890-1908);
the Pearce Institute, Govan Road (1902-1906); and Pollokshaws Burgh Buildings,
Pollokshaws Road, for which he re-created the tower of the Old College (1895-8).
The Pearce Institute and Pollokshaws Burgh Building are his most elaborately sculpted
Glasgow buildings; the former including a three-masted galleon made by workers at the
nearby Fairfield shipyard; the latter featuring a number of Masonic symbols and Renaissance
motifs by an unidentified carver.
Elsewhere, he worked on the restoration of Jedburgh Abbey (1875) and
Paisley Abbey (1898-1907) and designed Mount Stuart, Bute (1878-1902).
Known as the 'Nestor of Scottish architects', he received his knighthood
from King Edward VII and was later awarded the RIBA
Gold Medal, 1916.
Gomme & Walker
Glendinning et al.
Williamson et al.